Your hands are exposed to the elements more than your face and they suffer in our Southern Hemisphere climate all year round.
In summer they feel the effects of UV radiation while we go about our day to day activities, particularly when we are driving. They are up there near the windshield, getting all the rays for hours a day at times.
Here are five of the best:
- Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream – available at Red Square for R325 right now. Yikes. I know.You need a second mortgage for that. It’s actually meant to be for your face, but if your hands are in dire need, it will work wonders, plus it has an SPF 15 which our Southern Hemisphere hands need. Desperately.
- Nivea Q -10 Anti-Aging Hand Cream – you can pick it up at Woollies or Clicks for R35.99 It also has UVA and UVB filters. It does the job, suits the budget and fits in the handbag.
- Norwegian Formula Hand Cream from Neutrogena is perfect for dry, winter hands. There are three versions: the fast absorbing formula; the fragrance free, which is great for people with eczema; and the anti-aging version, which is great for, you know, us and Peter Pan and all the others who don’t really want to age.
- Kalahari’s Healing Hands priced at R263 seems like a luxury buy, but it is a treatment product designed to bring neglected hands back to good health. It restores natural moisture to sun-damaged skin, using hematite stone extract. Hematite stimulates collagen synthesis and is used as an anti-wrinkle treatment.
- The Body Shop Hand Creams are highly rated by Marie Claire UK and are a budget beating R55. The Satsuma one looks delicious for winter, but it does not have an SPF so you need to layer one over the top.